Monday, March 12, 2012

Did I Poison The Squirrels?

Oh Noes!
I went out to inspect the yard a few days ago and found that most of my peony shoots had been chewed off!  Fricken' squirrels!!!  I was so mad, all I could think of was the beautiful blooms that could have been.  A few days passed and I haven't seen the squirrels in my yard.  Usually there are 3 or 4, my husband feeds them and I try to discourage him.  They started to eat our winter beets and maybe the peony shoots looked like beet greens?  I googled to see if Peonies are poisonous and they are.  Apparently very poisonous if ingested in large amounts.  Maybe the little guys are just sick and vomiting somewhere... I hope they didn't kick the acorn cap.  :(

4 comments:

CBorbs said...

Your husband is feeding the squirrels? You need to insist that he stop doing that! Squirrels are nothing more than rats with cute tails. And they shouldn't be encouraged to come and eat in your yard. They will absolutely decimate flowers and vegetables in your garden. They are not your friend. Do a little research. They' can be very destructive. You better hope they're dead from eating your peonies. If they're not they'll be back for more of whatever you're growing. And they'll eat it ALL.

Diem Chau said...

It's that darn cute fluffy tail... so hard to see them as pests. Yes I'm putting my feet down, at least for now. We do have a bird feeder that the squirrels like to raid as well. I've never had "wildlife" issues before.

Rebecca said...

I curse squirrels all the time- they eat everything or at least destroy it if it's in a pot! I have to remember to protect everything until it no longer looks like a tree shoot to them (course I see tree shoots everywhere that they won't touch until I dig them up and replant them.) $@#%!!! Anyway, even though they might be poison- the squirrels might have tougher stomachs than most...I feel for ya...

Diem Chau said...

@Rebecca LOL! Yeah I've had a lot of seedling killed by them. I've weened the hubby from feeding the squirrels. We haven't seen much of them lately.