Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Black & White

What I've been working on
I was recently asked to make a panda crayon that was black and white.  I've tried many times in the past to incorporate different colors onto one crayons.  I would melt one crayon and drip the wax onto another crayon, think candle dipping.  But as soon as I start carving the new layer would just pop off.  The 2 colors never quite "fuse" together.  This was a fun request and I really wanted to make a 2 color crayon.

I played around with a few different methods and found one that works.  I used an inlay-like process to incorporate the 2 colors.  This is the test crayon, I'm currently working on the final crayon for the client.  I'm very excited about this new process... so many new possibility!  I think images with bold graphics would work best. 

B&W Panda!
A close-up of Mr. Panda.

6 comments:

Alex Sunday said...

i'm really impressed you've managed to get the 2 colours to fuse! i can only imagine how hard it is. well done. he's really cute. :)

Shiva King said...

This is great! Now you have many new possibilities for you art :)

Diem Chau said...

Thank you Alex!

Thanks Shiva, I'm very excited to experiment more :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful and very delicate sculptures. I love them.

Diem Chau said...

Thank you Richard :)

Joanna Key said...

cool idea!