Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Yard: BEFORE

My little yard
This is our yard... it's about 10' by 20' and is mostly shady. As made apparent by all the mossy ground cover! We love our stepables! I didn't plan this garden, the previous owners did. I love much what's there, especially the stone path. But it's not a very usable space, the gravel is always damp and it's too loose to set a chair on. I mostly go out there to weed and some of the plants are RAGING growers. I had to pull out all of the Euphorbia and chop down the cherry blossom tree (yup it was me). You can't see it in this picture, but it's the tiny trunk in the upper right corner. It had very aggressive shooters and casts a huge shadow over an already shady yard. I'm glad I did it!

I'll post some in-progress shots later this week... I took out most of the gravel and paved center of the yard (where the rain barrel is). I kept the stone path and I will be putting in a few raised beds where the tree was. Not the ideal place to plant veggetables, but it's the sunniest spot there is in our yard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Impressive!

Are you going to the Women's Funding Alliance gig tomorrow? I saw that you donated a piece!

- Laurel

Diem Chau said...

Thanks Laurel :)
No I won't be at the dinner... but I'm sure it'll be AMAZING food!